MY REASON FOR THE TRIP

I have been thinking of something good to do for people in need, for somebody who is less fortunate than us Western creatures who live in total luxury. After reading an article about The Highlander Orphanage in Kathmandu, I picked that to be my project. I am going to raise money for the kids in an orphanage in Nepal. Now the challenge comes. HOW? ? First I am going to give them some of my time. I have decided to volunteer at the orphanage for 2 months to make it more real for me, to go out of my own comfort zone to see what life is really like there and not as a tourist. By doing that I hope others will contribute in different ways. My goal is to raise as much as possible to make a better life for kids who would live in total poverty if not for the help from others.


Monday, May 24, 2010

TIBET AND MY LAST DAY IN KATHMANDU

9 Days in Tibet. Change of plans drove in a bus anyway, just so I wouldn't miss the buses here, with 49 other people from 15 different countries from Kathmandu to Lhasa, a great experience. Saw numerous Monasteries along the way, being a true Buddhist is harder than you would think, and experienced first hand how the Tibetan people are affected by the over taking by the Chinese . Tough landscape but beautiful and of course we saw Mount Everest from land and closer by plane on the way back. Fantastic view of the Himalayan mountains.I will go into detail later about the trip when I have more time, it was a tough trip as well with us going up to a height of 5200m , which affected a lot of us some more than others, and a few funny moments like one day when there was a cow under the toilet which of course is just a hole in the floor, great service, a cow lick could save you some toilet paper, which by the way I have had to carry with me everywhere for 3 months. Today is now my last day in Kathmandu, lots of mixed feelings about that, after having spent so many days here, strange to have to leave in a few hours just. I am meeting up with Karna and Bishnu from the orphanage for one last time, I really miss them all there and wish I could go back to see them all again one last time, or even stay there another 2 months, but I am looking forward to coming home now too to see my boys and friends, I miss you all very much as well. It will be tough to come home and have to cook again after I have only done that twice the whole time I was here, had to learn how to cook Dal Bath just in case I should miss it when I return. Denis and I have treated us self to a nice Hotel just outside Thamel, after me living very primitive for so long, an old Palace that was build by a king in the last century, so very beautiful and nice. Right now I can hear somebody playing the trumped, so I feel like I am part of a different era, very cool. I am sitting here in our room writing at a desk with a cup of tea at 6:00am, listening to the singing of the birds , and with a view of the mountains surrounding the Kathmandu valley, total luxury!! Not the view I had that every day at the orphanage. Last night Denis took me out for dinner to experience the Nepali culture one last time, we went to a great place called Bhanchha Ghar, where we were sitting on the floor on handmade carpets and cushions at low tables enjoying a drink and eating great Nepali, Newari food to a Nepali cultural show, and a taste of their local rice wine, perfect last night for us here in Kathmandu. I will miss everything here, well almost. Off to India soon so until next time Namaste Inger.
                                A shy Tibetan woman I had to bribe to be able to take her picture.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Inger, Showing Denis a good time, snakes and all. Sounds like an adventure we would all love to have. Enjoy the next trek to India.

    Stay safe

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Inger, we are looking forward to seeing you shortly and hearing all about your trip. Have a wonderful time in India and a safe flight home!
    Hugs,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete