MY REASON FOR THE TRIP

I have been thinking of something good to do for people in need, for somebody who is less fortunate than us Western creatures who live in total luxury. After reading an article about The Highlander Orphanage in Kathmandu, I picked that to be my project. I am going to raise money for the kids in an orphanage in Nepal. Now the challenge comes. HOW? ? First I am going to give them some of my time. I have decided to volunteer at the orphanage for 2 months to make it more real for me, to go out of my own comfort zone to see what life is really like there and not as a tourist. By doing that I hope others will contribute in different ways. My goal is to raise as much as possible to make a better life for kids who would live in total poverty if not for the help from others.


Sunday, March 25, 2012

Raffle Tickets.

Hello All I am now trying new things to raise money. I have Donation Cards that I sell for either $10 or $20. A nice gift idea. then I am selling raffle tickets for $10 per ticket or 3 for $20. Lots of great  prizes. 2 Gold tickets to the Rogers Cup. A new tennis racquet of your choice. Racquet stringing, lots of gift certificates. A tennis lesson, personal training sessions and more...  I will be returning to Nepal in mid April for 2 weeks, meeting up with Andy. So I will be going to the village of Phujel to check out where the school will be build, so that is pretty exciting.
I am now back from my trip, it was a tough trip because of sickness. But we are both well again and ready for the world. It was great to go to the village where I plan to build the new school. It was a bit of a challenge to get there, first a 4 hour bus ride from Kathmandu where it seems half the population had the same idea as us to go on the bus at stops on the way, in the end there were so many people on the bus that you couldn't possible move any part of your body, the top of the bus was full of people and goods as well. When we arrived at noon we then had to walk up and around the mountain for 6 hours in  30˚ C,  we just made it to the village before dark and thought I was going to pass out many times because of the heat. We stayed with a family who fed us lots of food for dinner which unfortunately didn't agree with my body so I was up sick all night.  The next morning weak as I was we had to go to the school and all the kids and teachers were there and had a big ceremony in our honour  and I was discussing the new building and buying land with the principle while I felt like shit to say it mild.  Luckily after an afternoon nap I felt good as new again. Andy then got really sick and was sick until the end of our trip where I then took over his illness before my return to Canada.
 Being there was very peaceful and amazing, most of the people there are very poor, most live of farming, but a lot of them doesn't even  grow enough for their own food supply, they all have terraced fields dug into the mountain side. It was great being back in Kathmandu again to see all the people I know, most of all the kids I looked after for 2 month in 2010. I miss them and wish I could see them more often.
I am excited about my mission hard as it is for me to raise money, but little by little I know I will succeed. For pictures view my Dec. post please, for you to get an idea on how things are there. There are pictures on some of my other posts as well if you are interested.

Namaste 
Inger

1 comment:

  1. Hi Inger,

    You should create a page on

    http://www.gofundme.com/

    That way you can reach more people with your cause and people all over the world can donate money easily. I know some people who have used it before - you can create a page outlining your cause and people are able to read about it and donate funds.

    A friend used it for her business.

    Try it out! :)

    - Hilsen Emilie

    ReplyDelete