MY REASON FOR THE TRIP

I have been thinking of something good to do for people in need, for somebody who is less fortunate than us Western creatures who live in total luxury. After reading an article about The Highlander Orphanage in Kathmandu, I picked that to be my project. I am going to raise money for the kids in an orphanage in Nepal. Now the challenge comes. HOW? ? First I am going to give them some of my time. I have decided to volunteer at the orphanage for 2 months to make it more real for me, to go out of my own comfort zone to see what life is really like there and not as a tourist. By doing that I hope others will contribute in different ways. My goal is to raise as much as possible to make a better life for kids who would live in total poverty if not for the help from others.


Friday, May 7, 2010

STILL ON STRIKE

Now it has been a week and the Maoists are still here demonstrating, getting more and more upset that nothing is happening, nobody can come to an agreement, so they are threatening to become  more violent if this goes on much longer, yesterday they came close by here, but I go to Thamel every day to see what is going on, yesterday they blocked the sidewalk which they do have along bigger roads, so I had to walk with them to get to where I was going. I have lots of pictures now and am pretending I am a photo journalist ha ha.. The worse part is the strike, everything is closed so nothing to do, no places to eat, even the hotels can't open their restaurants, and they don't allow people to cycle any more either.. I miss my chocolate or any food for that matter, yesterday I was able to buy some eggs that I cooked today for lunch, the first thing I have cooked in two months, apart from the last two nights where I have helped in the  kitchen to learn to cook Dal Bhat so I can cook that when I get home in case I should miss it since I have it so much here, it's been amazing not to have to cook anything at all for that long, I just have to sit down and eat for every meal without lifting a finger, very strange after cooking every day for 30 years. I truly hope this strike will end soon otherwise my Tibet trip will not happen and I have plans to go on a jungle trip with Denis as well to try elephant riding, I don't want to miss that. I know that is a pretty selfish way to look at it when this whole country is in turmoils. I hope that they one day will be able to run it in peace, since it could be a beautiful place if it was taken care of properly. It's been raining everyday at some point, yesterday I got caught in a thunder storm and it was really gross with all the dirty water running down the street that I had to walk in, but the air is very clean every day, no car exhaust or dust it is very pleasant being her now, to be able to breathe all that fresh air, I did buy a mask to wear but that only lasted a couple of days since I felt silly with that over my face and then sun glasses, looking like a criminal walking down the street, Hmm health over beauty, tough one. but of course no issue right now with only pedestrians left. Still trying to figure out how to get Denis from the airport tomorrow, he would walk if he knew where he was going. My time is up so until next time Namaste Inger

4 comments:

  1. Even with the strike you are still having an adventure. I hope that you are able to have the rest of the vacation the you had planned. We all miss you, Inger. Canada will seem like an alien land when you come home. All of the trees are out now. Most of the flowering trees are at their peak. The lilacs are just perfect. You can smell them when you are driving with the windows down. You ARE a photo journalist. Believe it. Keep taking care. Hugs, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej Inger, vi ønsker at du får lejlighed til at fortsætte med dine planer, og at du og Dennis må få nogle gode dage samme.
    Imorgen tager Povl Arne og jeg sammen med et vennepar på en minicruise til Oslo, turen er kun 2 dage med et 7 timers ophold i Oslo. Vi glæder os, indsejlingen til Oslo er fantastisk flot. Ellers går det med golf, selvom det stadig er hundekoldt her i maj. Fortsat godt ophold i det fremmede.
    Knus fra Povl Arne og Jytte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hej Inger

    Saa er det vidst paa tide jeg giver lyd fra mig , det lyder super , I wish it was me , Jeg regener med at faa lidt tid iaften till at laese hele din side , Hils Dennis, Vi ses snart
    Morten

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://choskins.co.uk/

    Hi Inger

    My friend Chris Hoskins is in Kathmandu right now. I sent him your blog and I told him to look out for you. Above is his blog! hope that you are well and enjoying your company!
    Namaste
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete