MY REASON FOR THE TRIP

I have been thinking of something good to do for people in need, for somebody who is less fortunate than us Western creatures who live in total luxury. After reading an article about The Highlander Orphanage in Kathmandu, I picked that to be my project. I am going to raise money for the kids in an orphanage in Nepal. Now the challenge comes. HOW? ? First I am going to give them some of my time. I have decided to volunteer at the orphanage for 2 months to make it more real for me, to go out of my own comfort zone to see what life is really like there and not as a tourist. By doing that I hope others will contribute in different ways. My goal is to raise as much as possible to make a better life for kids who would live in total poverty if not for the help from others.


Sunday, March 14, 2010

Started Volunteering..

Finally back.. I started my volunteering job Thursday, now it is Sunday, I tried to download some pictures but no luck, but one day I will get it to work. Kids are really nice and well behaved and staff at the Orphanage are really nice as well!!  I am fine and coping with the different life style, which I will tell you is really different. Don't get me wrong when I write what it is like I still enjoy everything, it is not a complaint just facts of things here.  I miss my bed or should I say mattress, I guess it is an upgrade since I actually have a bed in my room now compared to at home. The mattress is about 4 inches thick but where my big behind is, it is down to about a half inch so needles to say it is hard as a rock, that and barking dogs all night, generators running to pump water because of water shortage due  to 12 hours of no electricity every day 2x6 hours at different times every day, all that said I am sleeping pretty good. My room is pretty simple cement floor no closet or screen for windows, so at times I have little unwanted guests, like little lizards or whatever they are called in mini version. My last shower was under a tap of cold water, since the shower does not work  when  the power is out, we have drinking water and water for shower and clothes wash and that isn't very clean water. Trying to get used to all the dirtiness, filth, garbage, smell, pollution, dust and crazy traffic consisting of cars lots of motorbikes, bikes and pedestrians in one muddle without any traffic lights or stop signs. Walking the kids to and from school brings me in the middle of all that every day.   All for now and hope you are well and do enjoy your luxury life where ever you are.
Namaste Inger

5 comments:

  1. Counting my blessings (and one of them is knowing you!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Inger....you are amazing to do this. I would miss my mattress too...The children will give back to you ten fold, I am sure. Keep writing...and stay safe. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fabulous adventure, can't wait to see the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Inger
    I love reading your blog! Sounds like a fantastic adventure!
    I will soon sympathize with you in regards to showering under a cold tap. Docks go in beginning of April so we will be unwillingly swimming around in recently thawed water!
    We will miss you, but the boats will be all ready for your return!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz writes;
    Inger, all I can say is that we will have to pamper you when you get back. I could not do what you are doing. Roughing it like this. I know the real reason for doing this will be rewarding, but the day to day lifestyle is tough. I admire you. Enjoy the little pleasures you have. Good luck and happy adventures.

    ReplyDelete